Commencing September 2018, we will be teaching BSL Level one courses at a venue to be confirmed in Nottingham. If you are interested in learning BSL, please get in touch with us via our contact us page.
This qualification is designed to teach learners to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL) on a range of topics that involve simple, everyday language use. They will gain basic skills and confidence in production and reception of BSL.
The specification has been designed using the UK Occupational Language Standards 2010 at Level 1.
The qualification is divided into three units, each of which can be achieved separately. Learners who are new to BSL should cover BSL101 first, as units BSL102 and BSL103 build on this knowledge. Units BSL102 and BSL103 can be taken in any order.
To achieve the full Level 1 Award in British Sign Language, candidates must pass all units.
|Unit||QAN unit number||Unit title||Assessment|
|BSL101||F/502/4513||Introduction to BSL||Practical assessment of skills|
|BSL102||J/504/0762||Conversational BSL||Conversation in BSL|
|BSL103||F/504/0761||Communicate in BSL about Everyday Life||Conversation in BSL|
Unit BSL101 is internally assessed by the teacher. Units BSL102 and BSL103 are externally assessed by a Signature assessor.
BSL competence standards include requirements for candidates to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL. It is the responsibility of the centre to explain these requirements before accepting a candidate for this qualification.
At the end of the qualification, learners will be able to:
- understand and use a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL
- take part in simple, everyday conversations in BSL
- give and follow simple directions or instructions in BSL
- give and follow simple familiar statements or descriptions in BSL
Level 1 Award in British Sign Language can be taken without any previous BSL experience at any level. This qualification allows learners to gain basic skills and confidence in the two areas of production and reception of BSL.
Level 1 Award in British Sign Language is suitable for those who:
- want to learn basic language skills to communicate simple conversations with Deaf people
- want to learn new language skills as part of a programme of study
- want to progress to more advanced study and/or employment using BSL in the future
- are studying for personal development
- are parents, family, friends or colleagues of Deaf people.
Level 1 Award in British Sign Language is suitable for all ages, including pre-16.
On completion of Signature Level 1 Award in British Sign Language, a wide range of further qualifications are available, including:
- Signature Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language